Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wishbone

A few weeks ago I made my very first chicken soup. I'm not the cook in our house. I did cook as a child with my mother and am very capable of baking, but I don't really do it very often. E is an incredible cook. When we started dating he was working at a restaurant and cooked for me often. As the children grew, I started trying to cook more. Well, E liked to 'add value to' (read: change) most of my meals after I had put them on the table. So, I quickly grew frustrated and stopped cooking for him. He still thinks I blew this out of proportion and should lighten up about him changing my meals to make them better.
This particular day, I wasn't feeling well and we had a left over chicken in the refrigerator. So I called my mom for a recipe/directions. As most of you probably know, making chicken soup requires pulling all the chicken off the bone. I'm sure some of you are aghast at the notion that I've never pulled all the meat off a whole carcass. I've just never had the need.
I must say, it made me very happy to have some help in the kitchen, even if it was just moral support.
The kids loved the soup. They raved about it and ate it left over for two days. They thought the best part was the wish bone. We had set it aside to dry and forgot about it until today. So here they are making their wishes.

No comments: