Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kissing?!?

We went to an indoor inflatable playground today. You know those big thing you see at carnivals that kids jump in and slide on? There were a couple home schoolers going so we decided to make the long drive to go. Since I was driving in that direction anyway, I offered to pick up a friend's girls and take them with us. My kids have always played well with her girls. One plays exclusively with Bridget and the other with Owen. That's just their personalities.

As I was talking with the other mothers, I noticed the kids had changed playmates. I didn't think anything of it. I just figured this was an environment that they had never been in together before. The younger, smaller one was hanging out with Owen, who is less active than the super active Bridget. I figured everything was fine, until I saw Bridget sneaking around and whispering. It was time to leave anyway, so I rounded them up. There seemed to be a discussion of great importance going on. When we got to the van, he kids wanted to sit by their 'new' friend. Since everyone was in agreement I didn't see a problem.

As I was getting on the highway, Owen's usual playmate declared that she loved him. I could see him squirm in his seat. After a little more light banter, Owen's new playmate declared that she had already kissed him, so he was hers. Owen quickly replied that it was not his idea and he did not kiss back. He was no one's boyfriend. Needless to say, the rest of the car ride was wrought with emotion. Poor Owen, he just didn't want anyone to be upset. He just wanted to be friends.

After we got home I talked to Owen a little bit about girl friends. I asked him if he wanted a piece of advice. He looked relieved and said, "Yes." I told him that if he wanted to keep his private life private, he would have to find a girl that was not friends with his sister. I didn't want to tell him that he shouldn't have a girlfriend, because he clearly doesn't want one. I really didn't want to try to control him. I know it is going to be a LONG time until he meets a girl that doesn't know Bridget :-) We talked about why people have girlfriends. He understood that it was not really reasonable for him to think he has met the person he wants to marry if he hasn't met as many girls as possible. My kids are really big on asking for all their options before they make a decision. So it was very easy for him to understand that the best option was to meet as many girls as possible and wait until he is ready to get married before he chooses just one. Let's hope he remembers my advice for many years to come

No comments: