We've had a bumpy few days. I was reading on some unschooling boards about a week ago and noticed some things that I was doing that were not necessarily consensual... to me. I was allowing the kids to express themselves in culturally unacceptable ways, ie. yelling at mom. I wasn't necessarily upset by it. I understand they are just frustrated and have difficulty expressing themselves in a calm manner (Don't we all sometimes?). However, I discovered I was giving them a little bit too much leeway. So I started putting an end to the back talk and told them I did not agree to the situation.
It's been hard for them to change things that we all thought were inherent to consensualness. They are rebelling against what they see as rules. Questioning me about how this could possibly be consensual living. Change is hard, but I think it is turning us in a more positive direction. They are seeing me as a stronger person. I think they truly thought saying mean things gave them the upper hand. Since I was not saying mean things back, they saw me as weak. Hopefully this will all shake out in a week or so, and we can all start treating each other a little better.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, we don't allow Levi to yell at us, or say mean or inappropriate things. We discuss things, allow him to ask questions, give his opinion, but it all has to be done with respect. And after the discussion and considering of all views, we do have the final say. He usually doesn't question it, and usually is not mad about it. I think you kids will get used to it and accept it and learn to trust your judgment. I really do believe that kids find comfort in the fact that some things are out of their control. I find comfort in the fact that some things are out of my control as well.
Post a Comment