Sunday, March 9, 2008

Playing School

Ok, so I had the conversation with Owen the other night that unschooling meant he could learn whatever he wanted, however he wanted, including using his old school books. He loved the idea. I moved all the books into his room and let him know that all the answers were in the back. I told him I would help him if he wanted my help. So what does my son do? He and Bridget are right now playing school. Well, as much school as I made for them. We did 'school at home' for three years in a relaxed style. I would give them assignments and they could do them in any order at their own pace.

So they are playing Owen as the teacher. He tried to limit the amount of time that Bridget had to complete a worksheet that he gave her and her response was, "Mommy gave us all the time we wanted!" LOL Owen, of course, was just trying to keep the game moving along. So now, Bridget is the teacher, because Owen always loved to be timed while doing his work to make it more of a challenge. Owen got a paper cut, Bridget, the school nurse, got him a band aid.

This reminds me of a comment Owen made the other day. Out of nowhere he came up to me and said, "Mommy, I know what heaven is like. It's like Wannado for kids AND adults." I just laughed. Wannado is like real life. Adults don't find waiting in line, doing the work they tell you to do, then getting paid as heaven! LOL He thinks heaven is doing things that adults do. Boy is he in for a surprise. He's told me that he never wants to pay bills. He decided that he will just live with me forever and I can pay all his bills for him for the rest of his life. He's gonna get a job to help me pay the bills and we'll have more money than we will ever need. Ahhh, I remember the day I told my mom I was going to do the same thing... really, I remember it. Sadly, I was a lot older than Owen. I must say, it was a great feeling thinking that I could live with mom forever and be infinitely rich.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Playing school is much more fun than going to school. Just like playing house is way more fun than actually running one. Levi still says he wants to live here forever, until we die. Funny and cute, although I'm sure he'll change his mind!