Friday, March 14, 2008

Oh, how far we've come

I had to set an alarm this morning for 10am. Wow, I can't believe my life has come to this. I'm sure my schedule will change when the weather starts to get nice all the time, but for now, I'm staying up late and sleepin' in.

We had a play date today. This one was just as much for us moms as it was for the kids. Melodie and I spent most of our time discussing our theories and questions about unschooling and consensual living. I still have difficulty handling many situations, but after talking about it today I could see just how far I've come.

I think, I could be 100% mistaken, we have a relationship of mutual admiration. I really admire her ability to plan such awesome things for her kids to do (fairs, exhibits and group learning opportunities). While she does not consider herself an unschooler, I think she does an amazing job exposing her children to so many opportunities. I sometimes feel I am lacking in this area. I wish I had more creative ideas of things to do with my kids. I offer them everything I read about, but for now, they are not ready to get back on the educational roller coaster.

From our conversation today, I gather that she is very curious (ok, not admiration exactly) about how we jumped in head first to unschooling. Watching someone else hit the huge speed bumps on the path to unschooling is much more fun than actually living it :-) At least that way, my hindsight is much clearer. I know what things I would do different next time. I wish we never would have gotten off the roller coaster. I wish I would have read the advice to 'just say yes more' before we jumped the train. Melodie has a very different situation from mine, but I think sharing our experiences has helped us both find our own path a little easier.

No comments: