Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jinx and drinking from a can

E told me two experiences he had with the kids today that I just have to share.

The kids have just discovered jinx. They come to me multiple times a day with a piece of paper that says, "Say Owen, Owen, Owen." Well, today, Owen and E decided they needed a secret hand sign with accompanying shake so they could quickly tell when Owen had had too much wrestling play. Owen got a real kick out of his handshake and was asking E to repeat it multiple times today. At one point, he asked E to do the handshake, which ends with a vocal component. When they got to the end Owen yelled, "JINX" E smiled at the predicament Owen had thoughtfully planned for him and began to chase him. Owen giggled uncontrollably as he ran away.

I went out to dinner tonight with a friend. When I came home, Bridget and E were sitting at the computer. I noticed a soda can in front of the monitor. When Bridget picked up the can to take a drink, I really had to restrain myself. I pride myself on the fact that I have never given my kids more than a taste of carbonated beverages and they honestly do not care for them. E noticed my reaction and motioned me into the kitchen. Apparently, Bridget had asked for the drink, opened the can (new experience), tasted it and really didn't want it. E reaffirmed that it really wasn't good for her and she did not have to drink it. Her response, "I just want to feel like an adult and drink out of a can. May I fill it with water?" So she did. I'm so glad I didn't say anything. Even if she was drinking soda I would be OK with it. I was just caught off guard, but I kept my composure. I love it when I do the right thing.

No comments: