Monday, January 7, 2008

A new way

Since it is Monday, the kids were expecting to start 'school work' today. I really surprised them when I announced what they would be doing for school. They have been stuck in a rut. They've been playing video games and watching TV and they have gotten bored. They want to stop, but they feel like there is nothing else to do. Hence, my 'school work'. This morning I had them make a list of 10 things to do today. They were free to put anything they chose except, get dressed, eat and go to the bathroom. I figure they will need to do those things eventually. I wanted a list of 10 things they wanted to do today.

Here's what they came up with:
Bridget
Buy walnuts and lemonade (for an experiment she saw on 'Goodbye, Zoe?')
Paint a picture
Play the piano
Get her hair cut
Brush her teeth
Take a bath
Watch 45 minutes of TV
Play 'Stop Thief' (board game)
Call Donavynn (her birthday is next week)
Play date with Lydia

Owen
5 pages of Math
Paint a picture
Gamecube
Brush teeth
Brush hair
Play crazy daisy
Play 'Stop Thief'
Play date with Andrew
Socialize with mommy
Play Legos
Play Runescape
Play Webkinz

Owen's list is more than 10 things, but he couldn't cut anything out. Just to be a good example, I made a to do list for myself. The kids seem very excited, at least for now. I feel good that their learning is 'child-led' and helping them to be creative coming up with things they want to do.

No comments: