I struggled for a good title describing how I felt about this incident and Reassuring Disappointment was the best could do. I was driving Bridget and a friend in the car yesterday and they were talking about the planets. N asked Bridget if she knew whether the earth revolved around the sun or vice versa. Bridget guessed wrong. Then N started asking Bridget various other questions about the planets. B tried to remember what she knew to the best of her ability. She had some really good vocabulary, but didn't always get the meanings right.
Obviously, this was a disappointment to me since I have taught her the answer to every question her friend asked at least twice in a 'school' setting. She got all that information in Montessori preschool, in our school at home science class, twice, and a scout trip to the planetarium! I comforted myself in the fact that she didn't want to learn those things at the time. She has probably forgotten many other things as well. I feel my homeschooling time will be much better spent teaching her things when she is interested in learning. That was my reassurance that I am doing what is right for me and my family.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is very reassuring. I have been attempting to do the school-at-home route for the past year and a half, and it just didn't feel right. I am now looking into more of an unschooling way of life, and it seems to be going great so far.
Absolutely!
That's where the real magic happens!
It will become more amazing and beautiful to you every day, I think.
:)
Stephanie
Post a Comment