Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Keeping things positive

I wrote a blog a while back that I have since deleted. At the time, I had some things I needed to work through in my head and my blog seemed like the place to do it. Unfortunately at the time, I was angry. Hence, the reason why I later deleted it. I felt like I had at least learned a lesson about keeping my blog positive. I didn't want all those negative things recorded forever.

Here's the warning: the rest of the post contains negative thoughts. Feel free to stop reading here if you choose. I won't know or be offended.

The problem is I've been bothered about the soccer thing all day today and it is just making me very sad. I feel like all the 'friendship fostering' that I have done has been for naught. I spoke with one of the other moms and she seems to share my sentiment. I think the core issue is that I am mourning the loss of an era. The girls seem to be growing up and no longer including everyone. Remember the days when every child in the group was invited to every birthday party? Those days are over.

It's different in hsing circles than it is in school. The whole family is always included and no one was ever left out. I always felt like it was important for Bridget to have friends from all walks of life... unschool, home school, school. Everyone and anyone could be her friend. I was always afraid to limit her friends to those whose parents agreed with my philosophies on parenting. Now I feel like I want a village of support to raise my children, not a string of negative experiences to toughen her up at age 8.

Am I being exclusionary? Am I being hypocritical? Or is it best for me to surround myself and my children with people of shared beliefs?

Mindful Parents apply within, please.

No comments: