Monday, January 28, 2008

Child Led Medicine?

That's what E said when I told him about our day. Owen has been sick since last Thursday. He did pretty well Sat and Sun, but took a turn for the worse this afternoon. He said he's never felt so bad in all his life and he wanted to go to the doctor. So I called and made and appointment. When we arrived, the doc checked him over and gave me three choices; it looks viral so wait and see, get an x-ray to determine pneumonia or not, or just medicate to cover all bases.

I'm not generally a 'medicate' type of person. This is an new ped practice for us and each time we've gone we've seen a different doctor. They came highly recommended, but I'm not sure it is the place for me. Anyway, I let Owen choose. He was so grown up asking the doctor which choice was the most 'correct'. The doctor skillfully changed Owen's word 'correct' to 'thorough' and suggested the x-ray. Then, Owen wanted to know the possible consequences of each choice. He asked what an x-ray was like and decided he wanted to go with that. Not my first choice, but it was his body. He really didn't want to take the medicine, but knew that if he had pneumonia that medicine would help it go away faster. He wanted to know for sure if he was really sick or just a bad cold.

He easily did the x-ray and was very pleased to find out it was just a cold. I just felt very liberated in giving him the choice.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

That is so cool. And he really rose to the challenge!