We found ourselves struggling with Owen again tonight about Boy Scouts. He didn't want to go to his meeting. He has been very unhappy at Scouts since last year, but he chose to sign up again this year. At the time, I think he signed up because that is what he thought would make us happy. So we're trying not to let his earlier decision cloud our current judgment. We're having a hard time distinguishing between not able to transition and not liking scouts. I think we've determined that this one truly is that he does not like scouts.
I took him to a scout outing last year. At the end of the tour the kids had to discuss with their parents a chore that they could start doing at home. Back then, Owen did lots of chores, so every suggestion they came up with either he already did it, or it was Bridget's job. He started crying and said, "If I would have known this was how this trip was going to go, I would have stayed home!"
His den leader is also incredibly busy. She is in the Army reserves (one weekend per month), has three kids, is pregnant and due any day now. I really admire all that she does, but I think it may have become too much. She's asked the parents to take turns leading meetings and that had added a level of uncertainty and inconsistency to the meetings. I think, for now, we have to trust that Owen really does not like scouts. Maybe he'll change his mind, maybe not, but at least it will be his choice.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Trust your gut. Your the mommy and you have that wonderful thing called intuition. And I don't think there is anything wrong with reassessing and deciding that something isn't going to work for you.
Post a Comment