Friday, December 14, 2007
Geometry
We went to a home school gingerbread-house-building event today. We definitely had a fun time and even learned a little geometry in the process. E was off work today and decided to go with us.
The group took a very different approach to building gingerbread houses. They started with cardboard and hot glue! So we thought we would give it a try. Owen wanted to make a pyramid. E showed him how to draw the first side and draw the other 3 sides connected. They cut it out, bent the cardboard and decorated. Owen was very proud of daddy's work. After all, it was his idea. He also came up with the creative idea to turn a gingerbread horse into a camel and put an icing gutra on the man.
Bridget was not as interested in the building as she was in the kitchen. She was invited to help bake the cookies. I insisted on accompanying her. She naturally resisted at first, but I explained that I truly wanted to see her work her magic and I promised to not interrupt. She was wonderful. She read the directions, mixed it all up, rolled it out, used cookie cutters, and even cut some cookies freehand with a knife. Afterward, she stayed to help clean up. Here is her worm farm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment