Monday, December 17, 2007

Defending my methods

Tonight was our last appointment with the therapist. While he was helpful, I must say his tendency to stray from the subject at hand to topics that interest him (on my dime!) was very annoying. Tonight was no different.

We all went into the office. I was discussing our success of the past two weeks in the hopes that he would suggest we cancel all future appointments. He interrupted my story and suggested we allow the kids to come in. We brought the kids in and I told stories of how well the kids were doing. The kids interjected with minor issues they wanted to discuss. We talked about how we solved the problems, etc. etc. etc. Then he asked the kids how many hours a day they spent on their schoolwork.

I wouldn't have been so worried about the situation except for the fear that he would report us to social services if he felt we were neglecting our children. So, of course, we had to defend our unschooling methods very tactfully. I started describing the method (or lack thereof) I use to teach the kids and E started helpfully interjecting! I was so happy to hear E eloquently explain what we were trying to accomplish by allowing the kids to direct their own learning. He really does get it! I guess in the back of my mind I knew that, but it was so good to hear it from him.

Twenty minutes later, our session was over. I was frustrated that I had paid to educate him again. However, I had a newfound confidence in my convictions and increased resolve to unschool my kids.

No comments: