Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The dentist

There has been a ton of conversation on the consensual living board lately about whether or not to force children to go to the dentist. Consensually, allowing them to choose is the ideal situation, but of course, it is hard to let a child choose not to go to the dentist.

Today, we went to the dentist to have the kids get sealant on their back molars. I have heard mixed reviews about the procedure, but it sounded like if I could make it through this, I would have to worry a lot less about their permanent teeth getting cavities. So I decided to take them, even though both of them did not want to go. B went first and did awesome. The tech even commented that she did exceptionally well for her age. In the back of my mind, I thought, "who cares?" I feel such a negative reaction to praise of my kids these days. She didn't need that, but that is another post.

Anyway, after seeing what B went through I knew Owen was not going to do well. He can't even stand for me to brush his teeth for him because he gags. I consciously tried to be very positive and encourage B to support him as well. It ended up being a disaster. The tech kept comparing him to B, "your sister just did this perfect. why can't you?" UUUGGGHHH I was so mad. I grabbed the kids and headed out. No sealant on Owen's teeth. I promised both of them we would never go back to that dentist again. I'm still reserving judgment about consensually allowing them to choose whether or not to go at all. How can I respectfully force them to go, when I canceled my appointment for the following day and have no intention of returning there myself? I'll go to another dentist, I'm sure, but should I force them? E lived his whole life up until the age of 24 without going to a dentist. His parents never made him go. I hope I can be that allowing.

No comments: