I'm not sure why I've been avoiding writing lately. I think I just felt very overwhelmed. The kids have been arguing so much lately. It's been more than a week and I just can't take all the angry sentiments. My kids have never 'hated' each other. Now, that is their favorite thing to say. I haven't been reacting to it because I know it is not true, but I worry that the more they say it, the more they may start to believe it.
I've been really upset about Girl Scouts lately. I've dreaded planning every meeting. I just felt like it was this huge burden that I couldn't bear. When we started deschooling I let go of almost all responsibilities and commitments. I wanted us to get back to the bare minimum so we could really focus on being free to learn at will. I equated spontaneity with freedom and Girl Scouts put a huge damper on spontaneity.
I remember, at the time, feeling like I couldn't 'get out' of the responsibility of Girl Scouts. It's not that I didn't love it. It's that I was trying to shed everything and that one commitment suddenly felt like a trap with no foreseeable escape. So I started telling myself it was difficult, time consuming, redundant, and going against all the changes I was trying to make. It was keeping me from being entirely free.
E suggested I do The Work on Girl Scouts. I have never done The Work, but E noticed that I got the book from the library. So I tried it. It was hard, because it is meant to be done on people not really things. If that even makes sense. Anyway, I figured out the origin of my negative thoughts. I had been telling myself that Scouts was a burden and I had started to believe it. In reality, it is not a burden because I love it.
It is amazing how that one negative thought had been paralyzing me every day. I feel so much better now. I'm really looking forward to setting everything up for our next meeting. I'm excited about Scouts again and it feels good.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment