Monday, February 18, 2008

Long weekend

Last month I suggested to the kids that they could have half-birthday parties since we didn't really do much last year. We were all sick for the two weeks surrounding their birthdays. Then when we were finally able to have their family party, our dog, Chile, got suddenly ill and we had to put him to sleep that night.

Anyway, Bridget wanted to plan a party for the day after Valentine's Day. So we had a heart themed party with one of her friends, D. Many things have been slipping my mind lately and planning her party was one of those things. I forgot until about 11:30p the night before that I had a party to plan. So I was up half the night cleaning, baking, making games, packing goody containers and trying to keep my composure. It was very stressful, but as it turns out, it was exactly what I needed.

While the kids were playing (having a blast, as you can see) I spent some time lamenting to D's mom about the kids incessant fighting. She commented that for the first time my kids are starting to like different things. They have always done everything together. Now, their interests are diverging and they are losing patience with each other. Why didn't I see that? I had noticed, but I never made the connection that it could be causing all the problems now. That little piece of information has given me a new understanding to use when the arguing starts. I didn't need patience. I needed understanding.

Sunday we had a birthday party for my dad and nephew. We had a nice time. When we were leaving Bridget could not find one of her shoes. She and E really got upset about the whole thing. E because he felt like we had to hunt until we found it and Bridget because Daddy was mad. Anyway, I convinced E to just let the shoe go. He carried a barefoot Bridget out to the car on his shoulders and all was well.

No comments: