Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Art is Revelation

I was scrolling through my favorite blogs today when I came across the Crooked Mile. It made me think about my painting from last month. I've thought a lot about it. I've even thought about pulling it back out to 'finish' it. I got the idea from Our Joyful Life and had hoped mine would look that full of life. Obviously, I have a lot of work left to do. I wonder if I'm making this painting a dragon too... Anyway, the last part of the Crooked Mile post really resonated with me.

So here's my point: art is revelation. Art exposes you, no matter what your ostensible intention. Your soul is going to speak through your work whether you hear it or not, whether you like it or not.

So I looked back at what my painting was saying to me.

I see that all I am doing is connected in some crazy round about way. I do feel like there are a lot of holes in my method right now (like blank spots in my picture). Maybe because it is February, maybe because I am in an ebb period. I do at least feel centered around the theme that I need to be outside the little black box to feel alive and colorful.

Now I'm off to slay the pile of dirty dishes. Then, maybe, I will have some room to slay the painted dragon.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

i've been feeling an intense draw to artistic things these past few days. I bought a sketch book. i have been going through magazines to make a treasure map, or intention board. i cut out a picture of a lady propped up against a tree, painting. i wonder what it all means...