Monday, February 11, 2008

Incubator

My MIL has cockatiels that lay a lot of eggs. They have never hatched. Today, she gave one to Bridget to bring home. Bridget, of course, thinks that it will hatch if she loves it enough. So, we had to find an incubator. So here it is our homemade incubator.
The two white things at the top of the picture are track lighting mounted on our ceiling. We turned them to shine directly at the hanging pot with the egg in it. If I thought for one moment that the egg had a chance of hatching, I would have been more accurate in the temperature. E told me that this particular egg had been retrieved from the garbage can outside my MIL's house, so I'm positive it has already been frozen and will not hatch. At least my kids learned what an incubator is. Now I need to rig a heat lamp for some seedlings!

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Maybe you could get her some chicken eggs to hatch like they do is school sometimes. Oh, but then she'll probably get attached to the chicks and want to keep them. That might be a pain!

Gpc said...

Yeah, I don't want any other animals in the house. One dog is enough. :-) I've thought about doing the butterfly thing, but haven't gotten around to it. The kids did it when they were in preschool, so I want to make sure they are old enough to remember.