Well, our adventures in Gatlinburg continue. Yesterday we went to see the Legends of China show. It is a new show that has only been there about 6 months. The kids were really excited at first, but got tired of seeing the same drum corp over and over. They used drums in between each acrobatic act. While they loved the acrobats, the drums were definitely too much. Owen's favorite part was seeing 5 motorcycles in one of those metal cages at one time. He was literally on the edge of his seat clapping wildly when they were finished.

Today, I finally got to take the kids on the Alpine Slide on top of Ober Gatlinburg. They only open the slide when the conditions are perfectly dry, so I had to call each morning to see if they were open. The kids decided they were indeed brave enough to ride the aerial tram. Bridget gave me my unschool moment for the day. She asked the operator what all the black triangles were on the wires. He was nice enough to explain how they separate and help hold up the wires for safety. I have to give him credit for not talking down to her. He gave her the full details and she loved every minute of it. As I recall, she even asked follow-up questions demonstrating her understanding.

When we got to the top, we got our tickets for the slide and jumped on the ski lift. Owen was very nervous about riding alone with Bridget. They did beautifully. We got in our 'slidemobiles' and down we went. Bridget went very slowly the first time. Owen was disappointed that he had waited for her and asked if we could race the next time. So we did. Now, since the slide is powered by gravity, Owen, of course, lost the race. It was very hard to tell him of the laws of gravity through the anger and tears, but I eventually convinced him that the only reason I won was because I weigh more. He smiled at me and said, "Then I know daddy can beat you!" I think deep inside, he thought that statement scored a point for the 'boy team'. I'm not so sure daddy would agree.
No comments:
Post a Comment