Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pokemon Learning League

Last year I let Owen try the one month free trial of Pokemon learning league. At the time, he was not up to the challenge. Recently, he asked me to get him a subscription. I guess since it was his idea, he is ready.

I remembered something about a buying co-op that had it for a good discount, so I went looking. I found it. The Homeschool Buyer's Co-op was running a group buy that expired the next day. What luck! So we finally got our subscription yesterday and Owen is having a blast. He decided his favorite subject is life skills.

I talked to both the kids and asked if they would like to use it as their school curriculum. They know that I don't use a curriculum, but I think they are ready to take on a challenge that they can complete. They are both very excited.

I was talking to another hs mom at swimming and asked her about what she uses for her 5 kids. She mentioned Story of the World. I have heard great things about it and I'm pretty sure that is what K12 based their History curric on. History is definitely the part of K12 that we miss the most. So I think I am going to look into the book, book on tape and maps. I think E and the kids are going to love it.

I'm so ready to get moving with the kids again. I think they are done with all the constant play time. They have learned tons about life; finding a solution that works for everyone, scheduling, taking advantage of opportunities, being prepared, dealing with mean kids, what their values are. They've finally gotten to the point where they are thirsting for knowledge. I'm ready to throw it all at them and help them find their passions.

No comments: