Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween can be fun



If this were any other year, I would have self destructed by now. In typical fashion, my kids decided to wait until the last minute to make a decision. they chose today to go shopping for halloween costumes. Bridget had been working on her Cleopatra costume and needed some gold fabric for a collar. Owen didn't want to make a costume at all. He just wanted to buy one. I expressed my concern for the cost of a costume and agreed to let him buy one if he contributed half of the money (not the best execution of consensual living or Law of Attraction). We walked into the first halloween store and started strolling around. He looked at a couple of things and came to me with a package. "This is what I want to be." It was a race car driver. It met all of his needs.. no make up, no hair style, no mask, nothing big and bulky. Lo and behold, the price was $10 and the 'helmet' was broken beyond use. I looked around for a similar costume with a helmet and didn't find one, so I resolved to ask for a discount on the costume. As we were walking out, we strolled by the Cleopatra accessories. Bridget wanted to buy a more elaborate headdress than the one she had at home for $14. An argument ensued. I told her I would buy the $7 one if she wore it as a belt (we still needed a belt). She wouldn't budge. So I started walking down the aisle allowing her to look some more. She saw the fairy wings. I told her she could buy white wings, use her Cleopatra dress and be an angel. She loved it. The wings she picked also had a halo. So for $18.08 I finished off two costumes and had the rest of the day to myself (not sewing a collar or belt for Cleo) Before I started unschooling/ consensual living I would have been incensed at the thought of waiting so long to get a costume and them changing their minds so many times. It feels so great just to let go.

So we got home and decided to make cupcakes. I have NEVER wanted to bake with the kids before. It drives me crazy when they don't do things my way. I told the kids I felt like making cupcakes and I was going to do the dishes and bake. Bridget asked to help. I was in such a good mood, I said yes. She even did the dishes. All I did was organize the kitchen. She unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher. I decided the only way I was going to get through this baking experience was to let her do it all on her own. I handed her the box, set out all the ingredients, bowl, measuring devices, muffin pan and liners. She grabbed the box and started reading. She mixed it all up, put it in the oven, set the timer, took them out on time, let them cool, iced and decorated them. I watched everything, taking pictures. As we were enjoying our snack, she took full credit claiming that I did absolutely nothing to help.

No comments: