Monday, September 29, 2008

If... Then

I've been doing some reading at joyfully rejoicing lately. I found an article about 'if...then' contracts. I've been struggling with the issue of the kids feeling 'entiltled' to something just because we are unschooling. We still have nightly problems at bedtime. E and I let the kids know we are going to bed. Well, they don't want to be downstairs alone, so they come upstairs. Then they make tons of noise so we can't sleep. I've been going around and around with them about it. I told I need to get to sleep. They claim to understand why I need them to be quiet, yet they cannot control themselves. Well, I finally found the answer in 'if...then' contracts.

I don't have to let them walk all over me at bed times anymore! Oh how I wish I would have read more about transitioning to unschooling a year ago before I transitioned to unschooling ;0

So the way I understand it, if there is a freedom or privilege they are enjoying because of our choice to unschool, then they have to be responsible in it. If they cannot be responsible, they lose the freedom. So I get to reclaim a small part of my previous parenting experience. At least it wasn't all a waste of time

So here is the contract we gave them this evening. If they can stay quiet after E and I go to bed, then they can stay up. If they can't, then they go to bed at 9p the following night. Now, obviously I can't make them go to sleep, but I can enforce lights out and quiet. The way I see it that is half way to sleep. Also, that gives them plenty of time to fall asleep before we want to go to bed.

Next, we are going to get a contract for taking food out of the dining room. I can't wait.

No comments: